Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A lost birthday

Today, thirteenth of June, is the birthday of my son, Moko, who passed away almost ten years ago. He tragically died due to unexpected traffic accident in 13th December 1997.

It was Friday, and he was on his way home from school that afternoon. A recklessly driven car hit him in the street close to our house. That was the last journey in his life. A journey that never reach its destination. The last journey that terminated his everything. His dream, his imagination for a happy and bright future.

He would have been twenty seven years of age by now. If that accident did not happen. If that reckless driver had cautious mind for the safety of other people in the street. The accident suddenly changed everything, nothing is left, only memory. It will be forever and nothing will come back.

Moko or Saworo Tino Triatmo, was a happy young boy. He loved his friends and family. He had many dreams to pursue. He had many imagination for his future. We love him so much. All of a sudden everything changed, everything ended. Just because somebody drove recklessly, having no concern of others safety.

He was very close to me. I remember the last birthday ten years ago. We had dinner with him. Just a simple dinner. He was a little bit quite as he was concentrating for his final year exam. He wanted to go to medical school if he passed the exam. This never comes true.

He was born in 1980 when I was in Newcastle (UK). I was waiting for the news from home those days. The news about the baby. It came to me a few days after he was born. It was a boy and I gave him a name Saworo, meaning news. We rarely celebrated his birthdays those years. He was always happy with all his friends.

Every time his birthday comes, just like today, I try to remember the happy and cheerful time we had with him. But finding only sorrow and deep feeling of missing. The loss and sadness will never end. It will be forever. I hope he is happy out there. I want to fly, my thoughts flying through the sky, just want to say hello and to hug him. His birthday is always a lost birthday forever. I keep waiting and waiting until the time comes when I can see him somewhere out there.

Manila, 13 June 2007

4 comments:

Natasha said...

Dear Dr Budi,
I really sorry that you have lost your son. Loosing a loved one is always sad and terrible. I understand your feelings. I share your sorrow though no words can comfort you. Let us pray for his happiness in passage of time ultimately reaching his final rest of eternal happiness. Natasha.

Ki Ageng Similikithi said...

Thank you Natasha. Death is an ultimate event. Our understanding can never penetrate the dimension beyond death. Death is the end of time for anybody. Losing a beloved son is just like a big looser in life. Evything becomes meaningless.

Yunisa said...

Ki, death is the end of one's life in this world, but it is the beginning of one's life in the eternal world. I always try to see death of the loved ones as a temporary separation.

Hope the comfort from God will always be with you!

Ki Ageng Similikithi said...

Dear Yunisa,
Thank you so much. Yes, death is the end of a long journey. I always hope to see him when I complete my journey in this beautiful world. Thanks for your time and comforts. Hope will find your novel. Peace